Choosing 3 top ski resorts for the Easter weekend wasn’t easy at all – for several reasons. First of all, “top” is kind of subjective. It depends on what you are looking for, your level of skiing expertise and personal preference. On the other hand, most Alpine resorts could easily be described as “impeccable” and all of them feature ski instruction and ski or board hire at competitive prices.
Still… here are our top three choices for skiing during the Easter Weekend:
1) Les Gets
Les Gets is only an hour from Geneva airport, located in the Haute Savoie region of the south eastern French Alps. It is a small traditional village, popular with families. It boasts an open air skating rink in the centre. A wide variety of chalet style restaurants -from family friendly to high end- will surely satisfy those who love delicious local dishes. As for ski enthusiasts, there are beginner and intermediate slopes as well as black runs. The more adventurous can try off-piste powder bowls, considered among the very best in Europe.
Reasons for choosing Les Gens:
- A short transfer from the airport means more time for the slopes.
- Excellent skiing and snowboarding for every level with sure snow.
- Many activities for children to enjoy, even their own ski area – “Le Grand Cry”. The best ski resort for families.
- Snow-park at Mount Clery ideal for beginners and intermediate.
- Hotel in town with indoor pool & sauna.
- Lively après-ski café culture, bars, nightclubs.
- Numerous activities, like
o ice skating,
o dog sledding,
o snow shoeing,
o hot air balloons,
o snow mobiles,
o ski diving,
o cross country skiing.
Flaine is situated an hour and fifteen minutes from Geneva airport and is the best resort for intermediate and advanced high altitude skiing. It has 265 km of ski runs. It is a charming historical resort, combining both past and present, nestling at one of the largest linked ski areas in France, Grand Massif. Flaine allows no cars - everything is at your doorstep.
You can ski to the door of the self catering apartments, featuring an indoor swimming pool and outdoor Jacuzzi. Recreation includes bars, pizzerias, restaurants and clubs for après-ski activities.
In short, Flaine
- is ideally situated between Geneva and Chamonix;
- boasts excellent skiing conditions;
- is best suited for intermediate and advanced skiers but also with beginner’s facilities.
- has a snow-park, with excellent children’s facilities.
3) Val D’Isere
Val d’Isere is about 2,5 hours from the airport but it is well worth the extra time getting there. It is located in the famous Espace Killy and offers fantastic high altitude skiing plus a superb après-ski scene. It is best suited for intermediate and advanced skiers with incredible powder runs like Face, a black downhill, Epaule du Charvet a black run and Arcelle, a famous red run which is both smooth and enjoyable.
It is perfect for snow-boarding as well, especially the Fornet area at the top of the valley and at the base of the Glacier. There is a wide choice of beginner’s runs on the lower slopes as well as the nursery runs. Val d’ Isere is a party town with a vibrant café culture you can dance until dawn if you wish.
There are plenty of other activities as well, such as: hot air balloon, light aircraft flights, swimming pool, cinema in English, cross country skiing, glacier walking to the ice cave, ice climbing, husky sledding, parasailing, ice skating, museum and a casino.
So, Val d’ Isere because…
- has excellent powder skiing for both advanced and intermediate skiers;
- ideal snowboarding conditions;
- a high volume gondola to transport standing skiers;
- vibrant après-ski life for party animals;
- wide variety of activities for non-skiers.
Chamonix would be an excellent alternative with plenty of nightlife and exciting atmosphere. It offers a high measure of challenge to both skiers and ski boarders alike. Even ski instructors and mountain guides come here to qualify. Morzine is good for snow boarders and has a lively nightlife. It is also only 50 miles from the airport and is best for beginners/intermediates, popular with families. Finally, Meribel has plenty to offer and is a great resort for partying.
So, the choice is yours! In any case, remember that the sooner you decide to book, the more chances you have to book the resort of your choice!